The site of ancient Messene or Messini lies in a fertile valley approximately 30 km away from Kalamata. Picturesquely situated on a hillside the remains of this vast ancient city are one of Greece’s best-preserved archaeological sites and one of the most beautifully situated. Our guided e-bike tour here is a journey at the surrounding hidden gems of the ancient site inside a unique lush landscape. Your e-bike takes all the effort out of the ride, so you can absorb the awe-inspiring atmosphere of this Greek paradise. Additionally, once here one can enrich the overall experience with a self-guided tour inside the ancient city to get the full picture and the maximum experience of this amazing place.
Meet your guides at the parking lot of the Ancient Messene site. Start with a quick introduction to the use of electric mountain bikes and a safety briefing. Then ride down a gravel road next to the ancient site and the surrounding green hills. Your first stop is to see the ancient city from a viewpoint overlooking the whole site and to hear your guide as he narrates the history behind what you see. As you further descend through the valley you encounter Centurian olive trees surrounding little villages with quiet roads. Then the trail takes you to your next stop the fortified monastery of the “Andromonastiro” a magnificent medieval structure dating back to the 13th century featuring fascinating frescoes, atmospheric vaulted ceilings, and beautiful Byzantine charm. A visit here to explore the fort is not to be missed. Here, there is a great opportunity to taste a delightful picnic under the mulberry trees of the Monastery. The next stop is at the walls of the ancient Messene through a paved road that ascends gradually. Thanks to the electric bikes we can adjust the effort we put in, and save some energy to enjoy all the beautiful scenery! Park the bikes next to one of the main wall Gates and explore the towers. These colossal walls are astounding thick, formidable fortifications that protected the ancient city from invasion. The view over the ancient city, the surrounding valleys, and Messinian Bay is spectacular. Having stretched your legs, you cycle down the last section on a quiet road back to the Ancient Messene parking where we started. Here we say goodbye and depart with memories that will last forever.
Terrain: Mixed mainly on flat terrain with a few short climbs
Distance: 15 – 25 km
Total Elevation: 200m – 400m Duration: 4 hours
Skill level: Intermediate
Route distance and total elevation details are adjusted on group’s skills and abilities.
– A minimum number of 4 participants is required for this activity to take place.
– Some Previous experience is required.
– Knowing how to ride a bike efficiently in gravel and smooth dirt roadis required for this activity.
– Good physical and mental condition
– Parental accompaniment is required for minors to take part in this activity.
– A written waiver form is compulsory to be filled in before taking part in this activity.
– HaiBike hard tail e-Bikes
– High Quality Gear: Helmet, Bike bags
– Professional Cycling leader, First aid certified
– Eco friendly, cultural and educational guiding
– Picnic with freshly baked bread, handpicked vegetables, homemade olive oil, local cheese and fruits
– Photographs from the trip
– Liability insurance
– All taxes
– Water (please bring your own full bottle of water)
– Transfer to meeting point
– Tip or gratuity
Upgrades and discounts:
Private trips available.
Discounts available for families and kids.
Hotel pick up / drop off upon request.
See our terms and conditions
Know before you go
What to bring with you:
– Bottle of water (1,5 litre per person)
– Any specific medication you are on
– Hiking or runner shoes (avoid open shoes, sandals or flipflops)
– Comfortable clothes according to weather conditions
– Hat or beanie, sunglasses, sunblock
– Small backpack (optional)